Parade + Lawn Parade
The Icelandic Festival’s Annual Parade is one of the largest parades in rural Manitoba. It attracts thousands of people every year for this grand event.
The parade travels from the Rec Centre on Highway 9, south to Centre Street, down Centre Street to First Avenue, around the loop by Betel and down First Avenue to Amisk Drive finishing at Gimli Park.
Date: Monday, August 5th, 2023
Time: 10:00 AM
Location: Start (Gimli Rec Centre), End (Gimli Park)
Celebration of Icelandic heritage and cultural emphasis. Parade entry is free of charge and open to all entries that fall under the following categories:
- Club or Organization
- Best Overall
Judging entries is based on overall message, décor, design, signing, originality, cultural relevance, authenticity & crowd appeal. We award for First Place and Judge's Award/Best Overall Entry
Rules and Regulations
- All entries are subject to approval of the parade Marshall & or other deputies, and can be withdrawn at any time.
- All entries must check in & register at a major check point as a group at the Rec. Centre parking lot between 8:30 & 9:00 AM.
- Please be on time – late entries will not be allowed in the parade.No give-aways of throw-aways on the parade route unless pre-approved!
- Approved items may only be given out on the curb, throwing anything is prohibited!
- Entries are responsible for the safety of spectatorsAll entries must be decorated
- All political and religious entries must be pre-approved by the Icelandic Festival board of directors through a written letter of request
- All marching members should complete the entire parade
- Horse units must all be ridden by qualified riders and provide themselves with their own clean-up crew for the parade route and marshalling area.
Lawn Parade Contest
You can still participate in the largest parade celebration in Manitoba, safely from home. Decorate your lawn in Icelandic themed finery and show your Viking spirit from July 31st to August 5th, 2024 at 10:00 AM CST. Get creative and pull out the blue and red streamers and the makeshift Vikings and compete to win. Enter from anywhere in the world! Winners announced on our social media platforms and website.
Add to your display with an Icelandic Festival lawn signs
How to Enter:
- Read the information below on judging
- Submit your entry information and photos to email@example.com between July 31st to August 5th, 2024 at 10:00 AM CST to be considered for judging
Entries will be shared on Icelandic Festival social media and the website.
Include the following info
- Submission Title
- Name of person submitting entry
- Mailing Address (not publicly shown, applicable only if our photographer takes photos of local entries)
- Images (Upload up to 4 images)
Entries will be judged based on overall message, décor, design, signage, originality, authenticity, cultural relevance, and social media engagement.
Prizes will be awarded for the following category
- Best Overall Entry
Visit our Facebook page to view all of the lawn parade entries.
2023 Parade Winners
Best Overall: Waterfront Retired Vikings
Cultural: Manitoba Metis Federation Gimli Local
Best Club/Organization: The Cake of New Iceland
History of the Islendingadagurinn Parade
Enjoy our video highlighting past moments from our annual festival parade.