Celebration of Icelandic heritage and cultural emphasis. Parade entry is free of charge and open to all entries that fall under the following categories:
- Club or Organization
- Best Overall
Judging entries is based on overall message, décor, design, signing, originality, cultural relevance, authenticity & crowd appeal. We award for First Place and Judge's Award/Best Overall Entry
Congrats to our 2018 Parade Winners!
- Best Cultural - Prairie Thistle Pipes and Drums
- Best Community/ Organization - Gimli Icelandic Canadian Society - Looking Back
- Best Overall - Parks Canada's Manitoba Field Unit Float
- Youth Winner - Gimli Youth Bowling
- Best Commercial - Icebound Excursions
Click here to download the 2018 Parade Form
Questions? Email: email@example.com
2018 Parade Marshall - Ray Sigurdson
We are honoured to have Ray Sigurdson as the Parade Marshall for 2018.
Ray has attended the Icelandic Festival yearly since the tender age of 5, (possibly even younger), and has been contributed as a volunteer and Patron for decades. Ray has a long involvement in community affairs. He was a councillor at the RM of Gimli and served as a Reeve from 1974 – 1995. He was the leader of the first Minerva 4-H Club in 1956, President of the Gimli Curling Club and Director and President of the Gimli Credit Union from 1959 – 1971. He also served on the Board of the Gimli Hospital, The Evergreen Library, the Eastern Interlake Planning District and many other organisations. Ray was born on the family farm in the Minerva District, near the town of Gimli on June 29 1932. Ray married Alma Martin of Vidir, Manitoba in 1954, they have five daughters and one son as well as twelve grandchildren. All of whom enjoy the festival every year.
Rules and Regulations
- All entries are subject to approval of the parade Marshall & or other deputies, and can be withdrawn at any time.
- All entries must check in & register at a major check point as a group at the Rec. Centre parking lot between 8:30 & 9:00 AM.
- Please be on time – late entries will not be allowed in the parade.No give-aways of throw-aways on the parade route unless pre-approved!
- Approved items may only be given out on the curb, throwing anything is prohibited!
- Entries are responsible for the safety of spectatorsAll entries must be decorated
- All political and religious entries must be pre-approved by the Icelandic Festival board of directors through a written letter of request
- All marching members should complete the entire parade
- Horse units must all be ridden by qualified riders and provide themselves with their own clean-up crew for the parade route and marshalling area.